Saturday, November 28, 2009

A Fragrant Chicken Curry For a Cold Day




After making curries for 12 years, I took a break of making them for the last two years. So I was surprised when I craved one this week.
I went down to my local Indian shop, and felt a little shy just before going in- I felt as if I was visiting an old friend who I hadn't seen for a long time.
My eyes scanned the once familiar spices and packages and I bought what I needed: coriander seeds, cumin seeds, black mustard seeds, ground tumeric, curry leaves, coconut milk, naan bread and basmati rice Back home I added fresh ginger, onion, garlic, chilli and fresh chicken to my small pile.
Crushing the seeds in my mortar and pestle, their freshly broken aroma was quickly released into my tiny kitchen.
After browning the chicken pieces, I then used the pan to heat up the crushed seeds, added the diced onion and grated ginger and tumeric and garlic. I poured in the tomato and coconut milk, curry leaves and finally the chicken. The colour was so vibrant.
The heady scent of the spices and the sweetness of the coconut milk filled my apartment which made me warm as the spring dusk was cooling down outside.
Sitting down to eat this dish, I found it to be refreshing, fragrant and light. Both my taste buds and belly were satisfied.

2 comments:

  1. Yum I love curries...
    I agree though, I go 'in phases' with my food likes too. Somehow one can just crave for something and then the next moment not at all ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, so you didn't steal this from NIgel Slater?

    ReplyDelete